Parshas Miketz in a Nutshell
Pharoah has two dreams.
Two years after Yosef asked the Cup-Bearer to intervene to Pharaoh on his behalf, Pharaoh had a dream.
In the dream, he was standing on the banks of the Nile river, when seven fat cows came out and grazed in the marsh. Then, seven gaunt cows came out after them ate the fat cows, but remained gaunt. Pharaoh woke up, then fell asleep and had another dream.
In the second dream there were seven fat ears of grains on one stalk, when seven skinny ears grew after them. The seven skinny ears swallowed the seven fat ears and Pharaoh woke up.
Yosef is made viceroy
Pharaoh’s dreams come true
The brothers come to Egypt.
Yosef accuses the brothers
Yosef proposes a test
- Yosef declares that the only way they can prove thier innocence is by bringing their younger brother binyamin to Egypt.
- He adds that they can send one of the brothers back to Canaan – the rest need to stay in Egypt.
The brothers express remorse
- One of the brothers expressed to the rest of them, that we are guilty in our actions to Yosef. We saw his suffering when he was begging us and we didn’t hear – that is why these troubles are coming upon us.
- Reuven answered, “I told you not to sin with the child but you didn’t hear.
- They did not know that Yosef understood what they were saying, because Yosef had used an interpreter – they thought that he didn’t know hebrew.
- Yosef – hearing them express remorse, went away from them and cried.
The brothers leave
The money is found
- In a hotel on the way, one of the brothers opens his sack to feed his donkey, and finds his money that he had given to Yosef inside.
- The brothers were disheartened and scared, they said “What has Hashem brought upon us?”.
The brothers return to canaan
- They told Yaakov all that happened
- As they unpacked they each found their money in their sack, and got scared.
- Yaakov berates them, He said “Yosef and Shimon are gone, do you want to take Binyamin as well?”
Reuven has a proposal
The hunger intensifies and they finish eating the food they brought from Egypt.